Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Interviews with Alumni > Interview with Millie Ashbee (2005-2008)

Interview with Millie Ashbee (2005-2008)

Millie Ashbee
Millie Ashbee

1. Your full name (and last name at school, if different) and years at Surbiton High
Millie Ashbee, 2005-2008. 
2. What are you doing now?
I'm the Communications and Press Manager at La Belle Assiette. It's a startup where you can book a private chef online. 
3. What's a typical working day for you?
Every day is quite different and I spend a week a month in Paris at HQ, which is always good fun. As we're a small team I get involved in most aspects of the business. My key responsibilities include handling all the press communication and the content on our website and social channels, as well as organising events and running marketing campaigns. 
4. Have you ended up in the job you thought you'd be in when you were a teenager?
Absolutely not. As a teenager I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do, so I just chose subjects that I enjoyed. I ended up at La Belle Assiette because I love all things food so applied to work for companies in this field. 
5. What's the best/ worst/ most unusual thing about your job
The best thing is the experience I am getting: working for a small company you get given a lot of responsibility, are exposed to all aspects of the business and what I do really makes a difference. Working in such a small team can have its drawbacks, there are only 2 of us in the London office!
6. What would you say to Surbiton High pupils who are interested in a career in the Events, PR & Comms?
Do things that will make you stand out! Start a blog (it really doesn't matter how many people read it), get involved in organising an event, volunteer for a charity and try and get as much relevant work experience as possible. Employers will be looking for things that make you stand out from all the other applicants. Employers are looking for examples of strong interpersonal/writing/organisational/creative skills, so do things that prove you have them.
7. What's your best/ funniest/ most vivid memory from school?
It's too hard to choose!!
8. What was your favourite subject/ teacher/ classroom/ school trip etc?
Favourite subject has always been Geography, that's why I chose to do it at University. 
9. How many school mates are you in touch with now?
Around 10 girls.
10. What are you reading/ watching/ listening to at the moment? What was your favourite TV programme at school?
I've just finished When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi, highly recommended but grab the tissues. I don't watch a lot of TV but I love a good documentary but during my time at Surbiton, I was addicted to Friends.

Similar stories

Most read

Recently, five Surbiton High School alumni came back to visit after 60 years. Anne Roberts shares her experience… More...

Welcoming our alumnae back to Surbiton High School! More...

Have your say

Surbiton High School
13-15 Surbiton Crescent 
Kingston upon Thames
Surrey, KT1 2JT

020 8439 1376
community@surbitonhigh.com

This website is powered by
ToucanTech